POSTED: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 1:41pm
UPDATED: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 6:53pm
UTEP will try to extend its winning streak to five while also staying unbeaten at home when it battles I-25 rival New Mexico at 7:05 p.m. MST at the Don Haskins Center Thursday.
- The Miners (9-1) are coming off a 52-50 win at Kansas State on Dec. 16 while the Lobos (8-3) routed New Mexico State, 68-44, on the road to complete that series sweep on Dec. 18.
- UTEP will break for the holidays after the game against UNM.
- It will close out the calendar year & non-conference play with two games after the layoff.
- The Miners will challenge Sam Houston State (5:30 p.m., 12/28 & UTPA (2:05 p.m., 12/30).
- December has been the best month for the Miners during the Keitha Adams era. UTEP is 50-25 in the month, including a mark of 25-2 at home since the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
- The Miners are 97-57 in non-league play under Adams, including 9-1 this year.
- UTEP is assured of pushing its school-record steak of .500 or better in non-conference play to eight seasons.
- The prior record was four, 1994-95 through 1997-98.
- Video and audio for every home game for the Miners on the year will be available through UTEPAthletics.com (subscription-based).
- Each of the remaining road contests on the season will be broadcast on Talk Radio 1150 AM.
- To keep up with the very latest on the program, LIKE the team’s page on Facebook (UTEPWomensBasketball) and follow it on Twitter (@UTEPWBB). Additionally, connect with Coach Adams by following her on Twitter (@UTEPKeithaAdams).
FEATS, HONORS & MORE
- UTEP has tied for the second-best start in program history with a record of 9-1 entering the game against the Lobos.
- Last year’s team was 10-0 while it was 9-1 (eventually 14-1) in 2006-07.
- The Miners boast a winning record through 10 games for the fourth straight year and the sixth occasion under Keitha Adam
- Five teams did so before Adams, but the longest streak was consecutive campaigns (once).
- Ranked 13th in the RPI report while it received a vote in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ top-25 poll released Dec. 18.
- Record of 4-1 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Sports a strength of schedule of 65th.
- Had three players recognized by Conference USA through weekly awards.
- Both Kristine Vitola (11/12) & Kayla Thornton (12/17) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- New Mexico leads the series, 30-15, but the Miners have claimed two straight & three of the past four.
- The Miners are 3-2 against UNM under Keitha Adams, with victories in 2007-08 (57-53, 12/30), 2010-11 (64-62, ,12/20) & 2011-12 (53-43, 12/10).
- UTEP is 11-10 against the Lobos in El Paso.
- The two programs faced off at least once per year from 1974-75 through 1986-87.
- The rivalry resumed in 1991 & continued through 1998-99 when both schools were members of the WAC.
GOING BACK IN TIME
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Kayla Thornton (15 points, 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (13 points, 11 boards) posted double-doubles.
- Anete Steinberga (13 points, 8 rebounds) and Kelli Willingham (7 points, three steals) also made several big plays.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- The Wildcats fell to 100-10 in non-conference home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
GETTING TO KNOW NEW MEXICO
- New Mexico has won two of three & is 8-3 overall on the year.
- The Lobos are 1-1 away from home, including a 24-point rout (68-44) at New Mexico on Dec. 18.
- Five different players contribute at least 8.0 points per game, but Carolina Durbin at 12.6 is the lone in double figures.
- Five Lobos account for at least 5.0 rebounds per game, with Jourdan Erskine setting tone at 6.5
- Eclipsed 70 points just once (81-59 vs. North Texas, 11/23/23).
- Has registered 60 or more in eight of 11 games.
- Kept three straight & eight of 11 foes on the year out of the 60s.
- The program has earned eight bids into the NCAA Tournament while competing in the WNIT five times.
- The University of New Mexico, located in Albuquerque, is the largest state school in New Mexico. It was founded in 1899.
- Notable alumni include renowned architect who designed Petco Park, Antoine Predock, & linebacker for the Chicago Bears, Brian Urlacher.