POSTED: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - 7:20pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - 9:40pm
The University of Texas at El Paso will construct new traffic control gates on University Avenue beginning Thursday, Dec. 6.
Construction is expected to last 30 to 45 days and will temporarily close the following areas:
* Entry gate at University Avenue accessed through Sun Bowl Drive beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6. No traffic will be allowed into campus via this entry point.
* Entry gate at University Avenue accessed through Oregon Street beginning at 6 a.m. Monday, Dec. 17. Limited traffic flow will be allowed to the Hilton Garden Inn at this entry point.
* Dormitory Road between University Avenue and the Fox Fine Arts Center will be temporarily inaccessible due to construction in the area. Temporary pathways will be created to direct pedestrian traffic during this phase of construction. Dormitory Road is scheduled to reopen by the first day of UTEP's spring semester on Jan. 22.
During construction all traffic will be detoured around these areas using the following marked routes:
* Rim Road entry gate - access to Wiggins Road and University Avenue.
* Hawthorne entry gate - access to Hawthorne Street, University Avenue, Kerbey Avenue, Circle Drive and Randolph Drive.
* Randolph Drive (Cardiac Hill) will open to inbound traffic on Monday, Dec. 17.
Everyone should anticipate delays and allow extra time for travel through these areas. Visitors to the inner campus during the construction period should enter through the Rim Road gate or Hawthorne Street gate
-UTEP Public Information Office