POSTED: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 7:53pm
UPDATED: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 9:00pm
EL PASO — It's been a long road for Bogan.
April 17 was the day Bogan says he took a wrong turn into Juarez. He was taking a shipment of 268,000 rounds of ammo to a buyer in Arizona. His attorney said he had legal paperwork proving the cargo’s validity and simply made a wrong turn.
He was arrested and charged with trafficking and immediately taken to a maximum security prison in Veracruz.
A few weeks later, on May 2, Bogan's family flew to El Paso to ask for the 27 year-old's release, but to no avail.
Later that week on May 7, Mexican authorities re-created the events that happened.
The next major development happened on June 17 when El Paso city leaders asked for the humanitarian release of Bogan, but again, Mexican authorities ignored the request.Then on August 23, a judge reduced the charges to ammunition possession, a much less steep crime. The original charge carried a maximum penalty of 30 years in a Mexican prison –– the downgraded charge had just a max six-year-sentence.
On November 12, a Mexican authorities press release said Bogan had been released, that was later confirmed to be false by his attorney.
3 days after that, Bogan was released from the federal facility but immediately taken into immigration custody.
That leads to Friday, when Bogan finally crossed the Bridge of Americas, exactly 7 months and 6 days after his arrest.