POSTED: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 9:08pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 10:27pm
Just as businesses were closing near Alameda and Midway, Texas Gas Service crews sent an alert to firefighters, that there was a strong smell of gas in the area.
"In the process of excavating and exposing the line, they ruptured the line themselves," said Batallion Chief David Rios.
About 20 firefighters responded to the call and quickly blocked off the intersection to make sure no one was in danger.
"It was during the time of businesses closing down, so we didn't necessarily have to evacuate the area due to the fact that they were already closing down," Rios said.
There were about 10 businesses in the area affected by the leak.
"This was a larger than normal gas line rupture," Rios said. "It's beyond the residential, so we're looking at a 2 inch gas line that was rutured, so we're talking a significant gas leak."
Rios said this is an examply of why homeowners should do their homework before digging on their own property.
"Whenever you're digging around any utilities, make sure to call the number to get lines marked, so we're not having to respond to a gas leak to your house or business," he said.
Something to keep in mind, because a phone call to 811 is a lot less of a hassle than 20 firefighters and flashing lights outside your home.