El Paso — This is Fire Prevention Week in El Paso. All week we have been discussing ways you can prevent a fire in your home. The El Paso Fire Department offers free smoke detectors to those who do not have one or cannot afford one. The department provides the smoke alarm and we install the smoke alarm to ensure it is placed in the proper location. All of these services are free.
Early detection is key. Most households, when asked, believe they have six to ten minutes to get out of their house safely when in fact it is more like two minutes or less.
Safety tips include:
• Install smoke alarms inside every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
• Larger homes may need additional smoke alarms to provide enough protection.
• Test Smoke Alarms Monthly
• Change batteries twice a year, a good reminder is to change the batteries when the time on your clocks are changed.
• Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old or sooner.
To request a smoke detector please call the Fire Prevention Division at 915- 485-5699.