EL PASO — El Paso Electric was pushing customers to think ahead in terms of saving energy with the fall and winter seasons. The following tips, they said, will keep homes comfortable and bills less expensive:
• ensure that your attic is well insulated. weather-strip and caulk to stop leaks around windows, doors, exhaust fans and other places where pipes or wires pass through walls.
• replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents. remember, the sun goes down earlier in the evening during the winter months, so you will be using more energy for lighting during this season. compact fluorescents use up to 75% less energy than incandescent light bulbs.
• install a water heater insulation blanket to reduce heat loss from your water heater.
• remember to replace your furnace filter monthly to keep it operating efficiently.
• if you have ceiling fans, remember to change them to reverse spin, to distribute the warm air in the room evenly.
• consider installing a programmable thermostat to save energy during this heating season.
• run your dishwasher only when it's full. try turning it off after the wash-rinse cycle and letting the dishes air dry.
• wash your clothes in cold water.
• before you use the clothes dryer, check the lint filter to make sure it's clean.