UTEP Running Back Nathan Jeffrey had 177 yards rushing vs Oklahoma, but suffered a pulled groin in the loss. He sat out practice today, but will he play this weekend vs Ole Miss? Tune in to find out!
UTEP VS. THE SEC
- The Miners are 1-6 against SEC opponents since the formation of the league for the 1932 season.
- UTEP is 1-0 against Ole Miss, 0-2 versus Tennessee, 0-1 against Alabama, 0-1 versus Arkansas, 0-1 against Kentucky and 0-1 versus LSU.
- UTEP is 0-6 all-time in road games versus SEC competition.
- The Miners have been outscored by a combined 311-64 in the six road games.
- In its last road game versus an SEC opponent, UTEP was outscored 37-7 over the final three periods en route to a 58-21 loss at Arkansas on Nov. 13, 2010.
- The 21 points marked the most scored by the Miners against an SEC team.
UTEP VS. OKLAHOMA POSTGAME NOTES
- The crowd of 40,137 was the largest for a UTEP home game since Sept. 20, 2008 versus NM State (42,930), and the best attendance for a season opener in the Sun Bowl since Sept. 1, 2007 versus New Mexico (43,326).
- The blocked punt return for a touchdown by Nathan Jeffery in the first quarter was the third by a UTEP player in the Mike Price era, and the first since Adrian James did so at Tulane last season. Nate Draughon had a punt return for a touchdown versus New Mexico in 2005.
- UTEP’s first quarter TD marked the first lead UTEP enjoyed in the three-game series versus OU and ended a string of 89 consecutive points scored by the Sooners.
- The blocked field goal in the second quarter by Horace Miller was the first by a Miner player since Will Osolinsky achieved the feat against Southern Miss in 2007.
- Only once previously in the Mike Price era has UTEP missed its first three field goal attempts in a game. The first such occurrence was at Tulsa in 2004 when the Miners were 0-for-4 on field goals, misfiring from 37, 51, 33 and 56 yards.
- Nathan Jeffery became the 14th Miner back to rush for 100+ yards in a season opener since 1950, joining Reeves Tevis (1955), Charles Bradshaw (1959), Leroy Johnson (1967), Robbie Rogers (1970), Mike Belew (1974), Robert Elliott (1976), Kevin Ward (1983), John Harvey (1987 & 1988), Patrick Bailey (1991), Toraino Singleton (1994), Paul Smith (1999), Howard Jackson (2002) and Donald Buckram (2009).
- Jeffery set a school record for rushing yards in a season opener, eclipsing the 164 by Robert Elliott versus UT Arlington in 1976.
- UTEP failed to reach 100 yards passing for just the fourth time in 98 games under coach Mike Price. The other such occurrences came versus New Mexico in 2007 (81), New Mexico State in 2008 (95) and Texas in 2009 (44).
- UTEP did not score an offensive touchdown for just the second time under Mike Price. The first such instance came in a 21-6 loss at UAB in 2010.