POSTED: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 12:03pm
UPDATED: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 5:35pm
- UTEP is starting its 95th season of football.
- The Miners are 41-48-5 in season openers.
- UTEP is 32-17-3 in season openers in El Paso.
- The Miners are 5-3 in season openers under coach Mike Price.
- UTEP has won two straight season openers for the first time since a run of three in a row from 2005-07.
- UTEP beat Stony Brook, 31-24 in overtime, in last year’s opener in the Sun Bowl.
- This is the first opener versus an FBS opponent since 2009 (23-17 loss to Buffalo in El Paso).
- The Miners are opening a season at home for the fourth straight year, their longest streak since christening the campaign in the Sun City seven straight years from 1986-92.
- UTEP is 25-0 all-time when scoring 30 points or more in season-opening games.
- UTEP is 11-5 in non-conference home games in the Mike Price era.
UTEP VS. OU
- Third meeting between the schools, all since 2000.
- OU leads the series 2-0 and has outscored the Miners 123-14.
- OU has scored the last 89 points in the series.
- The Sooners beat the Miners in Norman, Okla. in 2000 (55-14) and 2002 (68-0).
- OU was ranked 19th heading into the 2000 matchup and second entering the 2002 game.
- UTEP averaged 7.0 points, 15.5 first downs, 109 yards rushing, 171.5 yards passing and 280.5 yards of offense in the previous two games.
- Oklahoma averaged 61.5 points, 22.5 first downs, 168.5 yards rushing, 310.5 yards passing and 479 yards of offense in the first two games of the series.
- The Miners lost a total of seven fumbles in the two games (five in 2000).
- UTEP has never led in two games versus OU and tied the Sooners once at 7-7 with 4:48 remaining in the first quarter in the 2000 encounter.
- UTEP’s 2012 captains are OL Eloy Atkinson (offense), DB DeShawn Grayson (defense) and DB Adrian James (special teams).
- UTEP DB junior Adrian James, OU freshman LB Frank Shannon, OU junior LB Corey Nelson and OU junior DB Joe Powell were teammates at Skyline High School in Dallas.
- UTEP junior DL Germard Reed, UTEP senior DB Terr’l Mark and OU senior DL Jamarkus McFarland were teammates at Lufkin [Texas] High School.
- UTEP has one Oklahoma native on its roster, freshman OL Trint Jenkins (Tulsa/Victory Christian High School).
- Oklahoma has played in the Sun Bowl twice, beating Houston in the 1981 game (40-14) and Stanford in the 2009 game (31-27).
UTEP VS. THE BIG 12
- The Miners are 0-11 against Big 12 opponents since the formation of the league for the 1996 season.
- UTEP is 0-3 versus Texas Tech, 0-2 versus Oklahoma, 0-2 versus Texas, 0-1 versus Colorado, 0-1 versus Kansas, 0-1 versus Kansas State and 0-1 versus Texas A&M during that time frame.
- Of the previous 11 matchups against Big 12 schools, seven came against teams that were listed in the Associated Press top-25 poll at game time.
- UTEP has been outscored by a combined 499-162 in its first 11 games versus Big 12 adversaries.
- UTEP has not allowed fewer than 33 points to a Big 12 opponent and has not scored more than 35 points.
- UTEP is playing a home game versus a Big 12 school for the fourth time (lost to no. 24 Texas Tech 38-35 in overtime in 2006, lost to no. 10 Texas 42-13 in 2008, lost to no. 24 Kansas 34-7 in 2009).
- The last time UTEP beat a school currently in the Big 12 was on Nov. 15, 1997 in El Paso, a 24-17 triumph over TCU.
UTEP VS. THE AP TOP 25
- The Miners are 4-47 all-time against schools listed in the Associated Press top-25 poll.
- UTEP is 0-5 versus AP top-5 teams.
- UTEP is 3-17 in home games versus AP top-25 squads.
- UTEP’s last win over an AP top-25 team was a 58-41 conquest of no. 12 Houston on Oct. 3, 2009 in the Sun Bowl.
- The highest ranked team that the Miners have ever beaten was no. 7 BYU, 23-16, on Oct. 26, 1985 in El Paso.
- The highest ranked team that UTEP has faced was no. 2 Washington on Sept. 11, 1982 in Seattle (55-0 loss) and no. 2 Texas on Sept. 26, 2009 in Austin (64-7 loss).
- The highest ranked team that UTEP has hosted in the Sun Bowl prior to the Oklahoma game was no. 6 Wyoming in 1967 (21-19 loss) and no. 6 SMU in 1982 (31-10 loss).
- UTEP has lost 27 of its last 29 games to AP top-25 teams.
- In 51 games versus AP top-25 teams, UTEP has scored 20 points or more 12 times.
- Since Mike Price took over as the Miners’ head coach for the 2004 season, UTEP has played eight games against AP top-25 squads and scored 20+ points on five occasions.
- The most points UTEP has ever scored against a team rated in the top-5 of the AP poll was 23 at no. 3 SMU (35-23 loss) on Sept. 7, 1985.