EL PASO — Fire Crews responded to a fire at the Truman Apartments on Meraz Avenue after a damaged extension cord ignited flames, according to fire investigators.
A neighbor dialed 911 around 2:30 Monday afternoon after hearing a smoke detector go off. Crews said they were able to get the fire under control within five minutes.
The apartment sustained heavy smoke damage throughout. The apartment complex is providing the displaced family of two with an alternate place to stay. Damages are estimated at $28,000.
The El Paso Fire Department would like to remind the public to check all extension cords in their home periodically and replace all frayed or damaged cords immediately.
To conduct a home safety survey in your home visit http://www.elpasotexas.gov/fire/homesafetychecklist.asp  for a free checklist or simply call our Fire Prevention Division at (915) 485-5699 for more information.