POSTED: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 - 8:37am
UPDATED: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 - 12:51pm
El Paso, TX — New studies show that people can contract some pretty dangerous infections from pet food. Simply feeding your pet in your kitchen could put you or your family at risk.
The study found that people who fed their dogs or cats in their kitchen were four times more likely to contract a bacterial infection from their food.
Most of the food is cooked but if anything is added after the cooking process, that can increase the chance of a salmonella contamination.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, since October 2011, a total of 15 people have been affected by salmonella linked to dog food. The CDC recommends that you don't feed your pet in the kitchen, and use specific utensils just for pet food.