POSTED: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - 10:03am
UPDATED: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - 3:56pm
AUSTIN, TX — Lt. Governor David Dewhurst urged Texans to help the families affected by yesterday's devastating storms that ripped through North Texas.
“The recent storms in North Texas have destroyed hundreds of homes and left thousands without power," said Lt. Governor Dewhurst. "In this time of need, I urge all Texans to pray for the families whose lives have literally been turned upside-down and lend whatever assistance they can to those in need."
The Red Cross of North Texas is accepting monetary donations in order to provide clothes, food and shelter for displaced families. You can text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief or visit www.redcrossdallas.org  for more information.
Lt. Governor Dewhurst also asked North Texas residents to exercise caution in the clean-up efforts, providing the following list of safety tips from the American Red Cross:
• If you are away from your home, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
• Exercise caution and wear protective clothing when examining your property for damage.
• Watch out for fallen power lines or broken gas lines and report them to the utility company immediately.
• Stay out of damaged buildings.
• Use battery-powered flashlights when examining buildings—do NOT use candles.
• If you smell gas or hear a blowing or hissing noise, open a window and get everyone out of the building quickly and call the gas company or fire department.
• Take pictures of damage, both of the building and its contents, for insurance claims.
• Keep all of your animals under your direct control.
• Clean up spilled medications, bleaches, gasoline or other flammable liquids that could become a fire hazard.