EL PASO — A 52-year-old woman sustained burns to her face when cooking while on oxygen Wednesday morning.
Emergency crews were dispatched to her northeast home. The woman was immediately transported to University Medical Center then later transported to the Lubbock Burn Center.
Preliminary investigations indicate the woman was cooking while on oxygen at the time of the incident and open flames from the stove caught the nasal cannula on fire causing possible 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her face.
This incident still remains under investigation. No additional information is available at this time on her condition.
The El Paso Fire Department would like to remind the public to be cautious where oxygen is being used and avoid open flames while wearing oxygen. No smoking by the person using the oxygen or by others while it is in use and avoid cooking on a gas stove while wearing oxygen. Oxygen should be set up far enough from a gas stove to be safe. Oxygen enriched fires will burn hotter and faster than usual. More oxygen means that things such as hair, clothing, skin oils and furniture can catch fire at lower temperatures.
Practice these fire safe behaviors when oxygen is in use:
• Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
• Post “no smoking” signs in and outside of the home to remind residents and guests not to smoke.
• Never use an open flame, such as candles, matches, gas stoves when oxygen is in use.
• Make sure that the home has smoke alarms. Test them at least monthly.
• Have a home fire escape plan with two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place.