POSTED: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 9:35pm
UPDATED: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 10:07pm
A family is homeless Saturday night after their apartment went up in flames.
Firefighters were called to a massive fire at the San Mateo apartments on Viscount Boulevard shortly before 7 p.m.
Thankfully no one was injured in the fire, but fire officials say everything in the apartment is destroyed.
"All of the charring was all the way to the bottom indicating it was a hot fire, but the fire fighters did an excellent job. They got here quick, put the fire out, nobody got hurt, maintained the fire to the apartment of origin. It didn't spread to the other units at all,” said Sergio Ramirez with the El Paso County Fire Department.
Although the flames didn't spread to any other units, fire officials say that at least three units connected to the apartment did suffer smoke damage.
Rene Hernandez witnessed the fire.
"A lot of smoke coming out of a building. I wasn't on the same side because it was on the other side, but it was just a big cloud of smoke. Me and my dad just ran over there on the other side and it was just a big group of people, and we just started videotaping,” said Hernandez.
The El Paso County Fire Department says fire crews arrived to the scene just minutes after the 9-1-1 call came into dispatch.
Police blocked off the 9300 hundred block of Viscount while they attempted to put out the flames.