Marie LeBlond rolled to her sixth straight win while improving to 20-6 overall to highlight the action for the UTEP tennis team in a 6-1 setback at Cal State Northridge Friday afternoon. LeBlond crushed Amber Walker, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5 singles but the Miners (2-13) couldn’t get on track against the Matadors (9-5) in the other matches.
Action initiated in doubles play where Sabrina Man-Son-Hing/Jennifer Sher held off Martina Trierweiler/LeBlond, 8-3, at No. 1. The home side’s duoe of Nigora Sirojiddinova/Anna Yang upended Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko, 8-2, at No. 2. UTEP was forced to default at No. 3 doubles due to being shorthanded on players.
LeBlond showed off her skills in singles play with the dominant effort at the fifth spot, which moved her to 2-1 in the position. She is also 10-2 at No. 6, a spot which the Miners defaulted at with the lack of healthy bodies.
Abdrakhmanova took the first set, 6-1, against Cheung at No. 4 singles. Her foe struck back to claim the second set, 6-3, and then ultimately emerged in a super tiebreaker, 10-4.
Trierweiler was challenged out of the gates in the match-up vs. Sher in No. 1 singles, and couldn’t recover in a 6-2, 6-0 loss.
Vazquez vied for a victory vs. Pistalu at No. 2 singles but it wasn’t in the cards. She was dispatched by a final count of 6-1, 6-1. It was a similar story for Sylenko at No. 3 singles, who fell to Yang by the same score.
UTEP will play the second of three matches in as many days when it challenges UC Santa Barbara at 12 p.m. MT Saturday.
1. Jennifer Sher (CSNR) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-2, 6-0
2. Maria Pistalu (CSNR) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
3. Anna Yang (CSNR) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lorraine Cheung (CSNR) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Amber Walker (CSNR) 6-1, 6-2
6. No player (CSNR) def. No player (UTEP), by default
1. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing/Jennifer Sher (CSNR) def. Martina Trierweiler/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 8-3
2. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Anna Yang (CSNR) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 8-2
3. No player/No player (CSNR) def. No player/No player (UTEP), by default