EL PASO — A 73-year-old female was transported to Del Sol Medical Center today after sustaining burns to her face and neck after lighting a cigarette while on oxygen.
Emergency crews were dispatched to her east El Paso home just before 2 p.m. after a call was made to 911 communications. Emergency crews transported the 73-year-old female who sustained burns to her face and neck. The female, who was lighting a cigarette, was on oxygen at the time of the fire.
This makes it the second incident this year where burns were caused by an individual who was smoking while on oxygen.
The El Paso Fire Department would like to remind the public to never smoke where oxygen is being used. When more oxygen is present, any fire that starts will burn hotter and faster than usual and things such as hair, clothing, skin oils and furniture can catch fire at lower temperatures and very quickly.
Here are additional safety tips the public should keep in mind where oxygen is being used:
• Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
• Post “no smoking” signs in and outside of the home to remind residents and guests not to smoke.
• Never use an open flame, such as candles, matches, wood stoves when oxygen is in use.
• Make sure that the home has smoke alarms. Test them at least monthly.
• Have a home fire escape plan with two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place.