EL PASO — Fire crews responded to an apartment complex fire Wednesday afternoon located on Ridge Street near Thorn Avenue.
Upon arrival around 12:30 p.m. crews saw light smoke coming from the apartment’s bathroom. About 21 firefighters responded to the fire. Fire crews began to extinguish the fire that was caused by a plumber’s torch. A pipe that was being soldered in the apartment’s bathroom caught the wall insulation on fire and quickly spread from inside the walls to the ceiling’s attic space. A plumber was inside the apartment at the time of the fire but safely escaped.
A total of three apartment units were affected leaving three families displaced. The American Red Cross of El Paso arrived on the scene to assist the displaced families.
Damages are estimated at $20,000.