POSTED: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 8:07pm
UPDATED: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 8:13pm
EL PASO - Investigators say an 87-year old man failed to put out his cigarette properly causing a fire that left him injured and his house nearly destroyed.
When firefighters arrived at his Central El Paso house on Saturday morning they found large flames and heavy smoke coming out of the front windows.
The elderly man was already out of his house, but emergency crews had to treat him for minor burns and give him oxygen.
"The male was the only one in the residence. We do, as procedure, a primary and a secondary search of the residence, and there was nobody else inside the residence," El Paso Fire Battalion Chief Ramon Valencia said.
Investigators say the fire caused $100,000.00 worth of damage. They also say the cigarette fell in between the couch cushions sparking the fire.