POSTED: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 2:47pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 9:29pm
A four-year-old girl is dead after a drowning in East El Paso. It happened last night at a home on the 2100 block of Whitcomb. Family members found the girl in the pool. An off-duty fire captain who lives next door heard the commotion and tried to give the girl CPR. The girl later died at the hospital.
This is the sixth drowning this year. The El Paso Fire Department has some recommendations for parents on how to keep their kids safe.
1. If a child is missing always look in the swimming pool first. Seconds count!
2. Knowing how to swim doesn't make a child drown proof.
3. Never use a floatation device as a substitute for supervision.
4. Keep rescue equipment and a phone next to the pool.
5. Install barriers around the pool. Fences and walls should be at least 4 feet high.
6. Gates should be self-closing and self-latching.
7. Never leave toys floating in the pool. They attract young children who might try to reach for them.
8. Use a pool cover when the pool is not in use.
9. Learn Cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The life you save might be your childs.