POSTED: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 11:07pm
UPDATED: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 11:08pm
The UTEP tennis team fell at No. 46 Texas Tech, 7-0, in the dual-match opener for both squads Monday afternoon. The Miners (0-1) came up shy in doubles play and couldn’t get on track after singles play commenced against the Red Raiders (1-0).
At No. 1 doubles the tandem of .Rebeca Calvillo/Martina Trierweiler played well in spurts but was sent packing by Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo, 8-3. It was a similar story for the duo of Dariya
bdrakhmanova/Marie LeBlond at No. 3 doubles, which was bounced 8-2 by Elizabeth Ullathorne/Sandra Dynka. At the No. 2 spot it was the home side pairing of Nikki Sanders/Caroline Starck toppling Gabi Vazquez/Carolina DeLuca, 8-0.
There was a short break before focus switched to singles, where the Orange and Blue would need to claim four of six to post a come-from-behind triumph. It was not to be, though, with the Red Raiders taking care of business.
Calvillo had the most success for the Miners, picking up a 6-4 win in the first set against Ullahtorne, at No. 2 singles. Her foe would rally to secure the second set, 6-3. At this point the team outcome was decided, so a super tiebreaker was used in the third set. Ullathorne grabbed control early and rode it to a 10-5 victory.
Trierweiler fought hard against Adams at the top slot only to ultimately come up shy, 6-4, 6-3. Dynka snuck past Abdrakhmanova, 6-4, in the first set at No. 5 singles before having it go her way, 6-0, in the second set. Vazquez had a few good moments against Starck at No. 3, but came up shy, 6-2, 6-1 while Kilgo derailed DeLuca, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4. LeBlond couldn’t get on track early and was saddled with a 6-2, 6-0 setback against Sanders.
UTEP will play the second of three straight road matches to start the year when it takes on Denver at 5 p.m. MST Friday.
1. Samantha Adams (TTU) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-4, 6-3
2. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTU) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Caroline Starck (TTU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-1
4. Kenna Kilgo (TTU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sandra Dynka (TTU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-4, 6-0
6. Nikki Sanders (TTU) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-2, 6-0
1. Samantha Adams/Kenna Kilgo (TTU) def. Rebeca Calvillo/Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 8-3
2. Nikki Sanders/Caroline Starck (TTU) def. Gabi Vazquez/Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 8-0
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Sandra Dynka (TTU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 8-2