EL PASO- From toxic foods to Christmas trees, there's a lot to think about around the holidays when it comes to your pet's safety.
When it comes to food, keep in mind that the following can be toxic to pets: chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, garlic, onion, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, bread dough, and sugar-free candy and gum containing the artificial sweetener xylitol.
It's also important to remember that even though the food may not be toxic to your pet, giving bones to your pet is unsafe and could cause health problems.
Plants and Christmas trees may also be dangerous for your pet. Hazardous plants include mistletoe, some evergreens (including some types of pine), and holly bushes and berries. Try to keep these plants away from pets, or at least supervise pets when dangerous plants are nearby. Monitor your pets when they are around your holiday tree. Pets may eat the needles or drink water from the base of the tree, which can be toxic.
Tinsel, tree ornaments, ribbons, string, and garlands are some items that can be dangerous if eaten by pets.
In many cases, if your pet has eaten or drunk something toxic, warning signs will include gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Other signs may include fatigue and lack of appetite, especially in cats that have eaten lilies.