LAS CRUCES- Since the completion of the roundabout at the north end of the Downtown Mall earlier this year, the Las Cruces Police Department has received several complaints of motorists who are in the roundabout and stopping for other vehicles that are approaching the traffic circle.
Drivers are reminded that vehicles already in the roundabout have the right-of-way and should continue moving while in the circle.
Driving in or near the roundabout:
• As you approach the roundabout, slow down and yield to pedestrians and to traffic already in the outer lane of the circle and approaching from the left.
• When it’s safe to do so, enter the roundabout traveling counter-clockwise and continue moving to the right of the center island.
• If you are proceeding straight through the intersection, or will be turning right, enter the right lane of the roundabout.
• If you will be turning left, enter the inside lane of the roundabout and then, using a turn signal, safely change lanes prior to exiting the circle.
• Do not exit the roundabout from the inside lane if there is traffic using the outside lane.
• Within the roundabout, do not stop for vehicles waiting to enter.
• Do not travel next to commercial trucks or trailers as larger vehicles may require extra room to maneuver the roundabout.