POSTED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 8:49am
UPDATED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 3:26pm
An 18-year old who was trapped inside her bedroom during a fire at her home last week has died. The El Paso Fire Department reports she passed away at a local hospital.
The fire broke out at a home on the 9000 block of Cuernavaca last Thursday morning. When officers arrived, they found a man and his 16-year old daughter outside the home.
The girl suffered burns to her face and body. She was taken to University Medical Center and then later flown to the burn center in Lubbock. The man's 18-year old daughter was rescued by firefighters from her room. She suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Del Sol Hospital.
Firefighters say the home's smoke detector did not have a battery and the wrought iron bars on the home's windows did not have quick releases, which investigators believe made it difficult for them to escape.