EL PASO - It's not winter just yet, but today is Severe Winter Weather Awareness Day.
Severe ice storms could cut off your power for several days at a time, so here are some tips to help you get through the storm safely.
Don't use generators or other-fuel-powered devices inside a home. Doing this could result in a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide fumes.
During a power outage, turn off all electrical appliances, but leave one light on so you know when you've got electricity again.
Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and keep burning candles at least three feet away from anything flammable.
Also, don't forget to blow out any candles you're using before leaving a room or falling asleep.