LAS CRUCES- Police are reminding Las Cruces automobile and home owners that the majority of burglaries committed over the past several months might have been prevented had doors been locked or valuables secured out of sight.
The overwhelming majority of auto and home burglaries committed within the past several months were considered to be crimes of opportunity where the perpetrator gained access through an unsecured window or unlocked door.
LCPD encourages automobile owners to remove all items of value from view, and keep windows rolled-up and doors locked when the vehicle is not in use. Homeowners are encouraged to secure windows and lock all doors when your residence is left unoccupied.
Additional safety tips include:
• Park vehicles in a garage, driveway or well-lighted area.
• Remove remote-control garage door openers from vehicles.
• Install and use an audible alarm system for your vehicle and a motion-activated alarm for your home.
• Keep residential doors and windows locked when away from home.
• Utilize curtains, blinds or other window coverings to keep valuables from being easily visible from outside your home.
• Install a security lock on flat screen television sets.
• Properly secure your garage, sheds and outbuildings.
• Secure items that are sometimes left outdoors such as trailers and tools.
• Do not “broadcast” vacation plans, or your work schedule, on social media sites or by allowing newspapers to accumulate on your driveway.
• Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to watch your home when you’re away for an extended period of time.
• Be a good neighbor and immediately report suspicious activity, or suspicious behavior, in your neighborhood.