POSTED: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 5:28pm
UPDATED: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 2:12am
One parent says she's terrified to send her 12 year-old back to school after a boy threatened her with a knife.
"This is not the first time this little boy has pulled out a knife, he's pulled it out on the school bus," the mother said.
This mother doesn't want to appear on camera because she's scared for her child's safety.
Last week, her child came home from school and told this story...
"This little boy pulled out a knife from his pocket and pointed it directly at her and another little boy and there was a struggle between the other third party, to take the knife away," the mother said.
She says she's not happy with how Rafael Hernando III Middle School is handling the situation. She says the boy was allowed to stay on campus. and just this morning she and her child saw the same boy walk into the school.
"My child saw him and that's a concern for me because I'm scared that if he is out there with all the other students he may retaliate on my child and not just my child but other children in that school."
Socorro ISD's Assistant Superintendent, Pat O'Neill says student safety is the SISD's top priority.
"We take that very serious, the law breaks it down to what is illegal and what is a legal life but it doesn't matter to us. You bring a knife to school, you threaten somebody with it, we're going to take serious action because it's a serious incident," O'Neill said.
O'Neill says students who bring weapons on campus can face serious consequences, but isn't saying why this student is still at school.
"If we have a student that brings a knife to school and threatens another student then typically what we do with that student is we send them to our discipline education alternative placement," O'Neill said.
The child's mother says she'll take her complaint directly to the Socorro ISD office, hoping to protect her child and all students at Rafael Hernando III Middle School.