POSTED: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:45pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 2:22pm
A single mom of five is homeless after a fire set by a child destroyed everything in their home. A seven year-old started the fire when he was playing with a lighter and his mattress went up in flames totally engulfing the home.
The family ran outside and neighbors tried dousing the flames with a garden hose.
"Oh it was cleaned out. They was even up to the roof there," said neighbor, Grady Connell. "The smoke was coming out of the hallway in the other door, so it was everywhere."
Firefighters arrived and quickly put the fire out but not before the flames spread to the other two bedrooms. Once the scene was cleared family members took a look inside to assess the damage and rummage through the ashes.
"Everything is completely burned down, theres nothing, the mattresses where the kids used to sleep are just gone there's nothing at all, just ashes," said family member, Melissa Garcia
Even though the family escaped without injury they're now looking to the future hoping 2009 will bring them some hope as they try to move forward from this tragedy.
The fire was contained to the bedrooms and what wasn't destroyed by the flames was damaged by the smoke. The family left with only the clothes on their backs.