EL PASO – The El Paso Fire Department has responded to more than 450 emergencies since Tuesday night.
Those include calls for both fire and medical emergencies.
To avoid overtaxing emergency services, fire officials encourage people to remain at home.
The fire department has provided these tips:
• Do not heat your home with a stove
• Use space heaters as recommended by the manufacturer
• Stay indoors, if at all possible. Fire officials are asking residents to adhere
to voluntary curfews to help reduce the potential for emergencies.
• Wear sturdy, flat-heeled boots, with plenty of tread
• Clean up snow and ice off outside stairs and sidewalks
• Keep any portable heating appliances away from combustible items
• Don’t use propane bottles as a fuel source inside
• Make sure fireplaces are covered with a screen
• Test the smoke and CO detectors to ensure they are working and that a
home escape plan is in place and practiced often.