EL PASO - There is new information tonight on a fire that left 17 families homeless Saturday morning.
A spokesman for the El Paso Fire Department says a heater in one of the apartments burned through the floor, starting the fire. It caused $100,000.00 worth of damage.
As we reported last night, not all apartments suffered damage, but the city Building Inspector shut down the complex because of non-working smoke alarms. Tonight firefighters are encouraging everyone to test their smoke alarms to prevent tragedy.
The Red Cross is helping out families displaced by the fire.