POSTED: Friday, November 19, 2010 - 1:15pm
UPDATED: Friday, November 19, 2010 - 7:37pm
El Paso - It was a busy morning for El Paso firefighters with two fires in less than three hours.
Firefighters say if it wasn't for a smoke alarm someone would have surely been killed when fire ripped through the home on the 10000 block of Orpheus. An electrical short started a fire around 2:30 this morning in a bedroom where a one year old baby was fast asleep. Luckily the smoke alarm woke up the parents.
“They were able to get the child out of the house safely,” said David Rios with the El Paso Fire Department.
But the flames did $60,000 dollars worth of damage. The Red Cross is helping the family find a place to stay.
But the morning was just getting started for firefighters.
Next they were off to the YMCA on Will Ruth when a fire filled the building with smoke, forcing about 10 people working out inside to evacuate.
"The lifeguard came and noticed there was smoke in the area and called 911," said one evacuee.
“There was some caked on soot from the furnace that dropped down onto the burners creating the smoke and the odor,” said Rios, who also responded to the YMCA fire. Firefighters used fans to clear out the smoke.
It was a busy Friday to wrap up a busy week for firefighters. Monday night a faulty gas line started at fire at a home in East El Paso. Everyone inside got out unhurt.
On Wednesday morning firefighters battled a massive fire in the Lower Valley. An electrical box in a part of a house under construction started the fire which then spread to a neighbors house.
And just yesterday morning a fire started in the roof of an Upper Valley home. The cause was a closed chimney.