POSTED: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 4:25pm
UPDATED: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 7:56am
A baby formula recall announced this week affects 5 million canisters nationwide. We had parents calling our station worried that the formula was making their babies sick.
"In a sense we've been poisoning him," said Juan Martinez. His grandson started drinking Similac's soy-based formula because of a milk allergy. They never thought their problems would worsen after the change.
"He was irritable, crying a lot, sleepless."
Since they weren't sure what was going on with little Santiago, they took him to a doctor to run tests. But then they heard about the recall a couple of days ago and Martinez thinks this is why his grandson was sick. They have to change formula again.
The company says a beetle may have gotten into a manufacturing plant and insect bits and larvae could have contaminated their product.
"That's not what you're supposed to feed an eight month old," said Carolyn Romaine. Her youngest of five, McKayla, was on milk-based Similac until a few days ago.
"She started vomiting, and no one else has been sick like that at all," she said.
When Romaine read about the recall on Facebook, she panicked. But her pediatrician said there should be no lasting effects once the formula is out of her daughter's system. Romaine switched to a store brand and Martinez switched to Enfamil.
"Almost instantly when we got him on Enfamil, we saw a dramatic difference," Martinez said.
Romaine and Martinez fed their babies Simlac that was included in the recall and while both believe their babies will be fine, their trust has been betrayed.
"That's something you trust, you know, that was the last thing that went through my mind," Romaine said. "I would've never thought i was making her sick."
If you think you have a contaminated Similac container, go to www.similac.com/recall/lookup