POSTED: Monday, July 5, 2010 - 4:50pm
UPDATED: Monday, July 5, 2010 - 5:22pm
EL PASO, TX - A woman came home from fourth of July festivities to find her home on fire, but thanks to two heroes the woman still has a roof over her head.
"instincts just kicked in and we said we have to save this lady's house." Luis Medina said.
Luis and his son Ivan drove by the Central El Paso house to find flames and smoke coming out of the windows, and the woman who lives there on the phone with 911.
"She was just like helpless. She was just standing there watching her house being burned down. We couldn't just let that happen knowing that we could do something," Ivan said.
"My first instinct was to grab the hose and try to run inside the house," Luis said.
That's exactly what the two men did. They jumped over the wall into the back yard, grabbed the hose and ran into the house.
"The flames were intense, and since it was a shallow roof they were pretty high flames. I started spraying water on them and all the heat started kicking out. It was pretty hard," Luis said.
The smoke started making the men choke so they switched tactics and started taking turns fighting the flames one at a time, and it worked. They say most of the fire was out by the time the fire department got there, and now the two men are credited with saving the woman's house.
"I'm pretty sure anybody would have done the same thing we did. Just the thanks we got from her was more than enough," Luis said
Fire fighters saved the woman's dog by giving it oxygen with a special dog-fitting mask.
We're told the fire was caused by a candle that was left lit in the living room.
Damage is estimated at $15,000, and the woman did not have insurance.
The Red Cross is helping the woman out.