POSTED: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 12:30pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 5:29pm
We took the highest and lowest scores from city health inspections between May 2-8.
The Church's Chicken at 5104 Montana had a near spotless kitchen with a score of 94. The inspector found just a few minor violations like a trashcan blocking a hand washing sink.
Next up on our passing list is Viva Cafe on the far East side located at 12221 Rojas. It scored a 93. There were only a few minor violations here, like a leaky sink.
Now on to a few of the restaurants that failed inspection, meaning a score of 69 or below. The McDonald's at 5440 Dyer in the Northeast got a 67. One of the violations the inspector found here was egg and sausage on the prep line weren't being kept cold enough. That's one of the most serious violations because potentially hazardous food that isn't kept at the right temperature can grow dangerous bacteria that could make you sick. The inspector noticed an employee not washing his hands for the required 20 seconds. Other employees were seen handling biscuits with bare hands when they should have been wearing gloves. A microwave, refrigerator, ice bin, and coke dispenser were all dirty. And the inspector found expired cheese. The restaurant passed reinspection.
Moving up the street now to Aranda's Restaurant at 9501 Dyer. It scored a 61. The inspector said sour cream wasn't being kept cold enough and beans on a steam table weren't hot enough. Containers of chicken and beef in the refrigerator weren't marked with a preparation date. A thermometer in the refrigerator was broken. The inspector also found salsa that expired 7 days before and said a cutting board needed to be cleaned. This restaurant also passed re-inspection.
Finally on the failing list is Ciro's Restaurant at 7000 Alameda in the Lower Valley. It scored a 58. Some of the violations included shredded cheese and chicken in a refrigerator that wasn't cold enough. There were also moldy tomatoes in a refrigerator. The inspector said there was no soap at a hand washing sink. Several flies were found in the kitchen. There were dry food particles on a cheese grater. Like the others, this restaurant passed re-inspection.