POSTED: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 3:34pm
UPDATED: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 5:49pm
DONA ANA COUNTY - A family is in mourning after a ten-month-old infant drowned in a bucket Wednesday in Las Cruces.
We are told the baby boy's grandmother was soaking a shirt in a five-gallon paint bucket when she stepped away for about three minutes. When she came back she discovered the infant, Jesse Garcia, face down in the bucket full of water and laundry detergent. Police say the mother, age 19, called 9-1-1 as the infant's grandparents began performing CPR until emergency crews arrived. The infant died while being airlifted to the University Medical Center in El Paso.
Police believe there may have been a warning sticker on the bucket to keep out of the reach of children. Police are still investigating the incident and an autopsy is being conducted at the Office of the Medical Investigator in Albuquerque.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 275 young children have drowned in buckets since 1984.