POSTED: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 5:28pm
UPDATED: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:14am
EL PASO - A family is in mourning after the life of a man and his stepdaughter was taken away so quickly.
"He would always tell you and introduce me as his sister," Melissa Martinez said.
Melissa Martinez is Jerry Villa's cousin.
She's trying to make sense of this shocking loss.
"He's someone we're all going to miss," Martinez said. "We're all really close to him and we all loved him very much."
"He gave it all," friend Nicholas Rodriguez said. "I mean, he gave everything to his family, to his friends. he was always about family."
The fire department has not been able to say what started the early morning fire. But Villa's family says... they have a inkling... that a faulty electrical socket may be to blame.
"He had felt that it could possibly catch on fire. He was having sockets that weren't working or sparking when you plug something."
Right now, the family waits to hear more on the condition of Villa's wife and surviving child and what sparked this fire.