UPDATE: Victim in Crash Involving Semi on I-10 Identified


POSTED: Monday, November 8, 2010 - 9:20am

UPDATED: Monday, November 8, 2010 - 9:41am

Police have identified the woman killed in a crash involving a semi on I-10 this weekend as 54-year-old Domilita Reyes, from Juarez.

Previous Story:

EL PASO - A car crash involving a semi has left one woman dead and several children hospitalized.

The accident happened on I-10 near Executive Blvd. early Sunday morning, and it practically shut down West El Paso.

Video taken right after the accident happened shows the body of a woman lying on the freeway. The white car she was in with three children and two other adults is in the background.

"The three children were transported to area hospitals for treatment for injuries that they sustained. The two adults were also transported to area hospitals for treatment," El Paso Police Spokesman Darrel Petry said.

Petry told us the people taken to the hospital are expected to be okay, but that was based on early reports. He said the car they were in and a semi were headed west on I-10 when one of them switched lanes causing the crash.

"As soon as we are able to determine who changed lanes we'll get that info out to you," he said.

Petry said the driver, who is believed to be around 30 years old, was wearing a seatbelt. He says so was the front passenger who is believed to be around 25 years old. In the backseat there was a 6, 5 and 2-year old and the woman who was killed, but it's unclear who in the backseat was buckled up.

"In the backseat we have multiple car seats and booster seats, and of course investigators are going to have to sift through the evidence they have here to determine who was wearing what," Petry said.

That investigation, along with trying to figure out who was responsible for the crash, shut down I-10 for several hours.

"Traffic was already backed up past Shuster and was pushing back toward Porfirio Díaz," Petry said.

Drivers were forced to exit at Executive after waiting in traffic for several minutes, and it wasn't until about 3 o'clock that traffic cleared up. That's nearly five hours after the crash.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment