UPDATE: Great-Grandmother Dies in Lower Valley Fire

News

POSTED: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 8:33am

UPDATED: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 9:28am

A 78-year-old woman died after a fire fully engulfed a home on Sequoia Way Wednesday morning, according to fire officials.

Another 51-year-old victim  was in critical condition and transported to the Lubbock Burn Center. The woman and man were the great grandmother and grandfather of two children also in the home. The children, ages 2 and 4, were rescued by two males who heard them screaming as they walked by the home. Fire officials said they children only suffered smoke inhalation and were in stable condition at a local hospital.  

The males who rescued the children, in addition to a firefighter who cut his hand during the incident, were taken to the hospital to get checked out and treated. 

Twenty-eight fire fighters responded to the Lower Valley home near Alameda and Carolina. Fire officials said the fire started from an electrical short on a living room lamp. 

Video submitted by witness Pablo DeSantiago.

Comments News Comments

This is a very sad story. Protect you and your family by learning how to prevent future home fires here: http://1.usa.gov/xsBcX6.

Post new Comment