Tips: Driving in heavy fog & low visibility
Silver City, NM (KTSM) — The NMDOT District One office has updated their roadway advisory with additional alerts for I-10 from the Arizona state line to Deming, and on NM-90 from Lordsburg to Silver City with heavy fog and low visibility.
Motorists are advised to proceed with caution.
• Reduce your speed. Slowing down gives you better control over your vehicle and will allow you more time to react.
• Maintain a firm 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock hand position on the steering wheel.
• Look well ahead: By looking ahead you give yourself more time to react to road hazards.
• Be alert to deal with harsher road conditions.
Be proactive and check road conditions before leaving and listen to local weather updates on your radio.
Visit the NMDOT website for current road advisory information at www.nmroads.com, or dial 511 in state or 1-800-432-4269 out of state for NM.
• When driving during inclement weather avoid using cruise control so you can maintain maximum control of the gas pedal for when unpredictable weather occurs.
• Larger vehicles have a much more difficult time driving than smaller vehicles do. So use extra caution and leave more space between yourself and a larger vehicle.
• WEAR YOUR SEATBELT, and make sure ALL passengers are also “buckled up.”