Roadway advisory for Socorro County
POSTED: Thursday, February 6, 2014 - 11:11am
UPDATED: Thursday, February 6, 2014 - 11:22am
Sierra County, NM (KTSM) — The District One office for New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) has been performing snow removal along different routes within the Socorro County which includes a portion of I-25.
Motorist are encouraged to proceed with caution and to prepare for possible delays.
Below are recommended driving tips.
• Slow down, be patient and drive safely. Plan for extra travel time.
• Leave approximately 500 feet between your vehicle and a snowplow.
• Maintain at least a three-quarter full tank of gas.
• Notify someone of your travel route, destination and projected arrival time.
• Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
• Brake slowly to avoid any panic braking or jerking the steering wheel.
• Increase the distance between you and the traffic ahead.
• When pulling off the road, make sure you exit on to the shoulder far enough to where your vehicle is not on the road.
• Carry plenty of food and water and all necessary medications
Roadway notifications will be posted on the department’s web site www.NMroads.com.