Texas Department of Transportation ready for winter storm
The El Paso District’s first wave of winter weather is expected late Thursday and will continue through Monday, November 25. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) wants to assure the public that crews are on standby and ready to go.
Snowplows and trucks that apply traction and de-icing materials to icy roads are loaded and ready. Crews will work around the clock to clear roads and assist where needed.
“TxDOT is prepared to address inclement weather and asks all motorists to stay home if possible. If you must drive please slow down and be safe,” said El Paso District Engineer Bob Bielek.
Road conditions will be updated frequently on TxDOT’s road condition web page at www.drivetexas.org or call 1-800-452-9292.
Winter Driving Safety Tips
• Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions
• Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice
• Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet back if you are behind a snow plow
• Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first
• If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction then straighten your vehicle
More winter weather safety information can be found at www.txdot.gov – key word: winter driving.