Breaking News

|
Friday, October 17, 2014 - 11:31am

Surge Protector Sparks Business Fire

Surge Protector Sparks Business Fire

POSTED: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:23am

UPDATED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 3:22pm

Firefighters Say Employee Saved Other Businesses

Investigators say an overloaded surge protector started a fire that gutted the Candlelighters Donation Center off Montana in East El Paso.

An employee was closing up around 7:30 last night when she saw flames pouring from an office cubicle and called 911.

Firefighters say her quick action kept the fire from spreading to other parts of the building.

The Candlelighters Donation Center is a non-profit organization that helps kids suffering from cancer.

Investigators say too many devices were plugged into the surge protector causing it to overheat.

Damage is estimated at around $35,000.

Firefighters say surge protectors are for temporary use only.

Most are designed to supply power to computers and printer and not heaters, fans, and coffee makers that require more energy.

Firefighters also say surge protectors should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, and not an extension cord.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment