Spring cleaning can mean new dangers for accidental poisoning
POSTED: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 11:46am
UPDATED: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 2:46pm
EL PASO (KTSM) —
The sun is out and the weather is getting warmer, and for some that means it’s time to start cleaning.
Robert Munoz, an El Paso resident, said the warmer weather certainly plays a factor when it comes to cleaning.
“Definitely during the spring time, my dad, he likes to get this like crazy motivation to like start cleaning everything,” Munoz said.
But environmental services says many forget that some chemicals should not be mixed,
“This product’s good. This product’s good. If you combine them it’s going to be even better but they're not compatible, so you mix one another and it just creates a dangerous situation,” said John Garza, environmental services deputy director.
Dizziness and nausea are common symptoms but if not treated immediately, chemical poisoning can cause death.
For many professional cleaning services, springtime is a busy time of year for business.
Mighty Clean said they see a rise in business every year when the weather heats up.
“A decent company will guarantee their work and it kind of ensures you of not mixing chemicals that you should not be mixing or treatments that you should not be using,” said Paul Deal Cyr, owner of Mighty Clean.
But for those who choose to clean themselves, it’s important to remember to open windows and turn on fans to ventilate. You should also wear protective clothing such as gloves and masks.
wear protective clothing. It’s also important to keep the cleaners in their original bottles.
As for disposal of chemicals, environmental services recommend you bring it to them.
“The best way is to take it to the city so we can dispose it with an environmental company. Just bring us your water bill and your driver’s license,” said Garza.
For a list of locations to drop off chemicals and other items, visit the www.elpasotexas.gov/environmental-services