10 Steps for a successful parent-teacher conference
POSTED: Thursday, November 7, 2013 - 12:38pm
UPDATED: Thursday, November 7, 2013 - 12:39pm
El Paso, TX (YISD) — Parent-teacher conferences present an excellent opportunity to find out how your child is adjusting to the new school year and to get to know her teachers. Here are some general hints on how to have a successful conference.
- Talk to Your Child - Ask your child if there is anything that he would like you to discuss with the teacher.
- Be Prepared - Jot down everything that you want to talk about at the conference.
- Be On Time - Arrive promptly or a few minutes early.
- Start Off on the Right Foot - Begin with positive comments about the teacher or classroom.
- Stay on Track - Avoid lengthy discussions of topics that are not related to the purpose of the conference.
- Listen to What the Teacher Has to Say - Be open-minded to suggestions from the teacher.
- Stay Calm - Keep your emotions under control.
- Tell Your Child What You Discussed - Take notes about what has been discussed to share with your child.
- Show Gratitude - Express appreciation for the conference.
- Stay Within Your Conference Time - Do not stay beyond your allotted time.
YISD has scheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences as follows:
- Elementary Schools on Tuesday, November 5
- Middle Schools on Thursday, November 7
- High Schools on Tuesday, November 12