Residents in Central El Paso nursing home awakened by early morning fire

KTSM
News

POSTED: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 - 7:40am

UPDATED: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 - 7:42am

Heating pump catches fire at Mountain View Health Care Center

Firefighters responded to an early morning fire at the Mountain View Health Care Center on Murchison Wednesday.

It was about 4:15 a.m. when the alarm company notified the El Paso Fire Department of smoke in the building.  It was coming from the pump of the centralized heating system that might have ignited due to an electrical short.  

According to firefighters, employees used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire before fire crews arrived. Electricity and gas to the pump only were shot off until it can be repaired.   

About two dozen patients in the nursing home were moved to the center of the building, a safe distance away from the fire.  Some residents were also seen outside in front of the building.  

Firefighters remained on the scene for nearly two hours to make sure the building was safe. 

No injuries were reported.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment