Red Cross App Centers Around New Mexico Earthquake Zone
The American Red Cross announced the launch of its official Earthquake App, putting lifesaving information right in the hands of people who live in or who visit earthquake prone areas.
This free app, available in English or Spanish, is available for use on both iPhone and Android platforms.
"This newest app gives instant access to local and real time information on what to do before, during and after earthquakes," said Rahim Balsara, Interim CEO of The American Red Cross in New Mexico. "New Mexicans will receive earthquake notifications and can monitor activity where other family and friends reside. People who do not live in earthquake-prone areas can have peace of mind knowing you'll have instant information about loved ones. New Mexico has many fault lines and experiences activity, that most people aren't aware of, so this app definitely has local applications," Balsara added.
New "Shake Zone Impact Maps" show give users personalized local impact information to help them make crucial decisions.
Features of the app include:
· Earthquake notifications showing the epicenter, magnitude and intensity maps;
· One touch "I'm safe" messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm's way;
· Options to view the app in English or Spanish based on user handset settings;
· Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
· Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan;
· Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
· Information on events that may happen after earthquakes such as fires and tsunamis;
· Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm; and
· Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.