Professional athletes descend upon the Borderland for benefit
El Paso, Texas (KTSM) — The 10th annual Ray Mickens Celebrity weekend is returning to El Paso.
The event raises money for the Ray Mickens Champions Fund, a non-profit supporting several programs that benefit kids in El Paso.
Those programs include the Ray Mickens Reading Contest, which encourages El Paso middle school students to read books and write essays to win a FREE NFL Weekend Trip.
The Ray Mickens Champions Fund also has a Mentoring Program which motivates students to continue their education beyond graduation.
This weekend's events include a Celebrity Weekend Golf Tournament at Painted Dunes Golf Course. It begins Friday at noon.
Then on Saturday the annual Celebrity Weekend Free Football camp will take place.
More than 15 current and former professional athletes will be in town for the weekend's events. They include:
Ray Mickens, Andress High School Grad & NFL Player
• Current Aziona Cardinal, Bryan McCann
• Current Aziona Cardinal & NCAA BCS National Champion-Curtis Taylor
• NBA Champion & NBA All-Star-Mark Aguirre
• Former Dallas Cowboy-Kevin Mathis
• Former New York Jets-Jerald Sowell
• Former Philadelphia Eagle-Correll Buckhalter
• NBA Slam Dunk Champion-Spud Webb
• All Pro, NFL Pro Bowler & Super Bowl Champion-Larry Centers
In six years, over 5000 youth have participated in the FREE Football Camp and Health Fair, 1200 have participated in the reading contest, and 600 in the mentoring program!
NFL star Bryan McCann joined us on Newschannel 9 at 6:30 to discuss the details of what will be happening.