Breaking News

Friday, August 29, 2014 - 4:03pm
|
Monday, August 25, 2014 - 5:28pm

Power Strips Can Cause Fires

Power Strips Can Cause Fires
News

POSTED: Monday, October 1, 2012 - 8:20pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 - 11:02am

Power strips and extension cords look like convenient ways to plug in a lot of things that need power, but you can plug in too many electronics. Depending on what you plug in, you could overload and cause a fire. Appliances like space heaters, air conditioners, refrigerators, washers, and dryers should never be plugged into a power strip or extension cord. Manufacturer guidelines for big appliances warn they should only be used on a single outlet circuit.

"What people typically do is they'll plug multiple big things into it because they think, boy, six, five plugs here, that's a lot of power, well it's no more power than the plug on the wall," said Marc Bashoor, a fire chief in Maryland.

Smaller things like lamps, cell phones, and laptops pull less electricity and are safer to use with power strips and extension cords.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment