Possible New Budget For Public Transportation
EL PASO - The El Paso City Council will have a series of budget hearings this month to discuss the fiscal year 2013 budget as proposed by the city manager's office.
Today, the topic was Sun Metro and what the city spends on its public transportation bus system. The city spent 61-million dollars on Sun Metro this year and a little bit more than 63-million is on the table for next year.
The city's budget and finance team is proposing to increase the city budget from $715 million to $754 million for the 2013 fiscal year that will begin Sept. 1.
Under that budget, the proposed tax rate would remain the same as the current rate of 65.8 cents per $100 property valuation.
Departmental budget hearings
- 9 a.m. July 12: Department of Public Health, Engineering and Construction Management, City Development and Information Technology.
- 9 a.m. July 18: Community Development, Museums and Cultural Affairs, Zoo, Library, Parks and Recreation, Convention and Performing Arts and Financial Services.
- 9 a.m. July 19: Airport, International Bridges, Department of Transportation, police, and Environmental Services.
- 11 a.m. July 25: Human resources, city attorney, mayor and council, OMB/city manager and non-departmental.
- 1 p.m. July 26: Budget wrap-up.
- 1 p.m. July 31, Aug. 1-2: Additional budget wrap- up, if necessary.