Overnight Apartment Fire In West El Paso

POSTED: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:38am

UPDATED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 3:23pm

Firefighters were called out to the Caprock Apartments in West El Paso around 3:00 this morning where a fire broke out in one of the units. Fire officials say a man had put out a fire in his fireplace before going to sleep but because of a defect in the flue, smoke escaped into the structure of the building and ignited. It took firefighters 20 minutes to put out the blaze, but there was $20,000 worth of damage to the walls and the roof of that unit. Firefighters were able to salvage all of the man's belongings. Three other units were evacuated, but none of them were damaged. No injuries were reported. Red Cross was called out to assist the displaced resident, but there's no word on when he'll be able to return.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment