NM State basketball player handed 30-day suspension

NM State basketball player handed 30-day suspension
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 6:17pm

New Mexico State Athletics Director Dr. McKinley Boston announced Friday that he has accepted the recommendation of the Student-Athlete Misconduct Appeals Committee to suspend senior forward Tyrone Watson for 30 days.

Watson, 22, is charged with a felony battery count for allegedly punching a man at a house party in late January.

The 30-day suspension will begin from the date of his initial suspension by head coach Marvin Menzies, Jan. 30. Watson will be eligible to participate in competition with the team on March 2.

“I appreciate the due diligence of the social misconduct committee and will reinstate Tyrone to the team per the recommendation,” Boston said.

“The social misconduct committee met on Feb. 12, to hear Tyrone Watson’s appeal of his suspension,” said Dr. Jack Thomas, Chair of the Student-Athlete Misconduct Appeals Committee. “The committee was composed of two faculty members, five staff members and one NM State student. Based on the information available and after interviewing Tyrone, the committee deliberated on the appeal and recommended a 30-day suspension from competition, beginning with the date when coach Menzies originally suspended Tyrone, and ending on March 1 was appropriate. This amounts to him missing seven games. We also agreed to allow him to return to practice on Feb. 25. We also recommended counseling for Tyrone. The committee reserved the right to reevaluate the suspension if new information becomes available.”

"I am very, very sorry to the young man and his family who have been caught up in this,” Watson said. “I offered my apologies to him through mutual friends and the police. I want people to know that at the time I felt he was acting inappropriately toward my girlfriend. I did not inflict the horrific eye injury that has been displayed in the media. I did not go out looking for a fight or get into fights as has been portrayed in the media. It was an incident I should have avoided and I have no excuse for my actions. I called the police the next morning to admit what I did. I want to apologize from the bottom of my heart to my teammates, coaches, the University, and all the Aggie fans who I have disappointed.”


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment