New Wildfire App Brings Urgent Information
The American Red Cross has officially launched a wildfire app.
"Blaze Warnings" let you see where NOAA has issued wildfire warnings, "Blaze Alerts" notify you when a new wildfire occurs and the "Blaze Path Tracker" gives you a current view of the wildfire's track and perimeter.
You can also let loved ones know that you are safe even if the power is out and learn what steps you should take to prepare your family, home and pets all from the palm of your hand.
The free app—available in English or Spanish—is the fourth in a series created by the American Red Cross for use on both iPhone and Android platforms.
The app can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross.
The Wildfire App includes:
- Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do before/during/after an wildfire, even without data connectivity.
- Get notified about current wildfires or wildfire-conducive weather.
- Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
- Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
- Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
- Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
- Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
- Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your wildfire knowledge with interactive quizzes.
- See an illustrated history of wildfires in your area.
This year, the Red Cross has launched 11 wildfire relief operations spanning 10 states.